The History of the V-CC

This crest and the charge (the velocipede) may justifiably be used as Club emblems. The supporters are puns on early bicycles: the Kangaroo (produced by Hillman, Herbert & Cooper) appeared in 1884; the Crocodile (Lawson’s Bicyclette) in 1879.

The Compartment is a green field (for the Surrey countryside) with an anchor for Ripley (where the first SV-CC club run was held on 28 August 1955) and the lavender for Mitcham (where the inaugural meeting was held on 25 June 1955). Mitcham, where Derek Roberts lived, was known for its production of lavender between 1550 and 1850, it being used for a remedy against all sorts of ailments, and in cosmetics.

The Motto “Out of the Ordinary” was suggested by Frank Armond.

The achievement was designed by Derek Roberts and painted by Dave Westwood in 1981.

The founder members were: H. G. Achard, Alex Behr, H. J. Maynard, D. Powell, and Derek and John Roberts. Their aim was to study and exchange information on cycles and cycling history. The decision to publish a quarterly magazine “The Boneshaker” was taken at that first meeting; only two months later it was resolved to hold another veteran-cycle run, in 1956, from Ripley to London (there is a video of it on our YouTube channel).

At the Annual General Meeting, held at the Museum of British Road Transport, Coventry, on 25 April 1987 it was decided to delete the word “Southern” from the name of the Club so becoming the “Veteran-Cycle Club”.

Consequentially the crest was modified to reflect the change of name.

0